Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Peanut Butter and Jelly on Hot Wheat Toast

I never remember a time when I didn't cook. At 5 years old, I walked home from kindergarten by myself, let myself into my suburban home, where I stayed by myself until my older brothers and sisters got out of school at 3 PM. Kindergarten in those days were half days and I went in the mornings.

From 12-3, I would draw, watch TV, read and yes, sometimes cook. No, I couldn't use the stove. I wasn't tall enough. But, I would create the most amazing sandwiches. My all time favorite then and now is peanut butter and jelly on toasted wheat bread. I called this the Pam Sandwich. Not very creative, I know. But I was five and no one in the house was making this one so when I said, Pam Sandwich, everyone knew what I was talking about.

I was allowed to use the toaster and I would put two slices in and watch until they popped up. Then as quickly as I could, my little fingers would slather on creamy peanut butter. I had to be quick and the peanut butter had to be creamy. I wanted it to melt over the edges of the bread. As the peanut butter melted, I would add the jelly. Always grape and never so much that it would plop out onto the table or me. After I carefully assembled the sandwich to beat all sandwiches. I would use the butter knife (the only kind I was allowed to use) and slice the sandwich into triangles the way I saw the mommy's do it on TV.

And then, I would eat. To this day, it doesn't get much better than the "Pam Sandwich" and a tall glass of milk.

At 9, I cooked my first Thanksgiving meal, turkey and all. Cooking was never really a chore to me. It is as much a creative art form as painting, drawing or singing,which I also enjoy. Soul food is art and baking is science. I love them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Atlanta, GA, United States
Marketer,Foodie, Mom